Monday, July 16, 2012

Pill Sensitivities & Pressure Points


While I do not like being confined to a ship, despite seventeen levels to explore and 24-hour culinary delights, probably my biggest aversion to cruising: seasickness. Almost no one gets sick on these monstrous floating hotels. Almost. Unfortunately, I do. So, I loaded up on Bonine which has worked miracles in the past. Non-drowsy, it claims. Okay. It was certainly my drug of choice when Jake and I worked as divemasters. But somehow, over the years, Bonine is no longer a friend.

I'll let my kids' reactions tell the story - "Mom, I know why it's called a pill. When you take the pill, you become a pill." Nice. Or how about this one, after I ditched the pills - "Hooray! Mommy stopped taking her grumpy pill!"

Apparently I now have a sensitivity to Bonine that not only makes me drowsy (I was dozing off two times in the middle of the day!) but makes me crabby. Needless to say, after a couple of days, I ditched the pills and relied on these very fashionable bands that provide constant pressure to the “Nei Kuan” pressure point. The Nei Kuan pressure point, according to acupressure practitioners, is used specifically to reduce nausea and vomiting. It works. At least for me. Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment